Tuesday, September 5, 2023

My Labor Day Weekend Adventures part 1

   My last summer adventure took me to Pennsville township in Salem County, NJ, where I decided to go to a historic military installation, which I don't think most people have ever heard of. Not even myself, because this place dates back to 1896, built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (initially called the "Battery at Finn's Point"). The place I'm referring to is Fort Mott, named after General Gershom Mott, who was a decorated Veteran of the Mexican-American and Civil Wars. This place is Amazing for young and old alike. 

   Located at 454 Fort Mott Rd, Pennsville, NJ, the park is open all year round except Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Eve & New Year's Day.  Also, you can book a seasonal ferry boat service online that will take you to Fort Delaware on Pea Patch Island and to Delaware City, Delaware (I haven't been there yet, but maybe next time when I go again). https://destateparks.com/History/FortDelaware. 

      You can also have picnics and a playground for the young children to play in, and you can go hiking, biking, mountain biking, and cross-country skiing in the winter. https://nj.gov.  Oh, by the way, the last part of the park, please don't forget to drive to Finns Point National Cemetery, the final resting place of 2,436 Confederate POWS and 138 Union guards who died on Pea Patch Island, and has been a burial ground for veterans and their families since the Civil War.






















































































































































This tower you can actually go in, but ask personnel to go with you. 






 Welcoming center/museum










Inside the tower



Museum artifacts 














































    I will continue with part 2 of my Labor Day Weekend Adventures tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment